[News] Patent Attorney Explains Why USPTO is Broken

  • Subject: [News] Patent Attorney Explains Why USPTO is Broken
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:06:30 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Guest Commentary on Why Patent Reform Needed

,----[ Quote ]
| Patents cranked out by the millions [with tens of millions of claims] by the
| USPTO necessarily include a large percentage of clearly invalid or
| over-broadly-claimed patents, because almost all patents are allowed by a
| single, young, limited-experience, patent examiner after an average of only
| 17.9 total patent application examiner processing hours, with only a very
| limited search of the huge present body of prior art. Thus, many patents
| simply do not deserve a several million dollar hurdle to even challenge their
| validity or valid claim scope.
`----

http://trolltracker.blogspot.com/2007/11/guest-commentary-on-why-patent-reform.html

Related and recent:

Apple seeks patent for compactable disc adaptor

,----[ Quote ]
| That seems pretty obvious to me. Doesn't prior art in a variety of industries
| (including flat-pack furniture and telescopes) have these concepts covered?
|
| I have no fundamental problem with the idea of patents, but to my mind the
| degree of innovation behind this application is too trivial to deserve
| protection.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15474/1054/

Amazon Sneaks One-Click Past the Patent System

,----[ Quote ]
| By changing the word 'a' to 'the' and adding the phrase 'purchasable through
| a shopping cart model,' lawyers for Amazon.com have apparently managed to
| reinstate two of CEO Jeff Bezos' 1-Click Patent claims that were rejected a
| month earlier.
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/22/1756237&from=rss

Amazon Patents Net Present Value-Based Delivery Dates

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20071120/015521.shtml