Re: [News] [Rival] Hotmail's Father Goes Against Microsoft's Biggest Cash Cow

____/ ed on Friday 23 November 2007 12:06 : \____

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article2917414.ece
>> http://tinyurl.com/25joyz
>>
>> I think that's the guy who compained that Microsoft ruined/neglected Hotmail
>> (which it did). Hotmail was built on Free software, not Microsoft
>> technology.
>>

> When MS took over hotmail they ruined it. Now mail goes missing. It used
> to work on sendmail, but I think it's IIS/Exchange based now... Which
> explains it's crappyness.
>
> There is a memo somewhere about what MS intentions were with hotmail.

What did the memo say?

,----[ Quote ]
|   From:   Doug Mentohl <doug_mentohl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
|   Newsgroups:   comp.os.linux.advocacy
|   Subject:   Hotmail borked ..
|   Date:   Thu, 16 Nov 2006 14:09:16 +0000
|
| We are experiencing higher than normal volume and are therefore unable
| to service your request at this time. Try one of the following:
|
| In your browser, click Refresh
| In your browser, click Back, and try again
| Wait a few minutes and try again
| We apologize for this inconvenience.
`----

It's still in the same broken state (delays and missing mail). Even Doug told
me this today. They try to encourage people to 'upgrade' to paid subscription
perhaps...

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 12345679 x 8 = 98765432