Re: [News] 'Hobbyists' May be More Skilled Than 'Certified' Professionals

____/ High Plains Thumper on Saturday 20 October 2007 03:15 : \____

http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.techtarget.com/2007/10/16/noncertified-it-pros-make-more-than-certified-skills-report-shows/

>> Interesting - experience more valuable than  paper...
>
> IMHO, it has always been that way.  Certification allows one to
> get his/her foot in the door, if they have no experience or want
> to change career fields.
>
> I have seen my share of so-called certified experts who are not.
>   Just because an engineer carries the letters "P.E." after their
> nym doesn't mean they are competent, only that they could
> academically pass the test.  Certification is a national fetish
> (at least in US).

It's a visible discriminant, but it means almost nothing in practice
(experience is more valuable). Certifications are a way of telling apart
people who bluff and people who proved some level of knowledge.

The co-founder of WordPress studies history and dropped out when he was about
19. He is a very talented programmer and he understands computing very well.
The same goes to many technical writers and Web programmers that came from a
literature background.

Stallman never studies CS. He studies biology and he too insists that
certifications mean little or nothing. There's a recent short interviews I can
find for you... he complains about new laws in Brasil that forbid access to
some computer unless you have some degree, IIRC.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    #ff0000 Hot Chilli Peppers
Cpu(s): 26.8%us,  4.5%sy,  1.0%ni, 63.5%id,  3.8%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.1%si,  0.0%st