[News] Microsoft Ensures Linux Users Won't Ever Boot into Windows

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft Ensures Linux Users Won't Ever Boot into Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 13:37:40 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Vista vs Ubuntu: this time, it's virtual

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, I can't just put a Windows OS on my Ubuntu machinery - don't have
| an unused Genuine Windows Advantage XP or Vista, and to reuse anything would
| be against the licence. And I couldn't run the more inexpensive versions of
| Vista in a virtual environment at all, even if I'd paid full retail, because
| that's against the licence too.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10006236o-2000331777b,00.htm

The solution is simple. Don't use Windows Vista at all. Microsoft's vanity will
cost them. Nobody needs to run Vista instead of XP anyway.

Related:

Vista Aiding Linux Desktop, Strategist Says

,----[ Quote ]
| For example, a number of companies have moved back to Windows XP after
| deploying Vista, Crawford said, before quoting Scott Granneman, an author,
| entrepreneur and adjunct professor at Washington University in St. Louis, as
| saying, "To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your
| Windows box, you just have to work on it."
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2168426,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616

Microsoft Says No Windows Virtualization on Top of Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2168183,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594

,----[ Quote ]
| The restrictions on virtualization were discussed here a couple of
| months ago, but now the more people are waking up to the EULA restrictions.
|
| MS claims it is "necessary for security reasons" and that only the "most
| technically savvy users, or people in companies with tech support,
| probably could handle Vista in virtualization programs, while home users
| should be steered away."
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070222/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_virtual_vista_2

Is need for control behind Microsoft's flip-flop?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9733433-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20