Re: openSUSE 10.3 sucks! or more likely, I was too inpatient :-)

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 03:35:51 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ____/ ml2mst on Friday 07 September 2007 02:56 : \____
>
>> Roy Schestowitz schreef:
>>> ____/ ml2mst on Thursday 06 September 2007 23:39 : \____

>>> OpenSUSE 10.3 is very decent and probably the best desktop Linux
>>> distribution out there. Separating this from Novell's mess...
>>
>> Hm, just wondering what I'm doing wrong then. Don't be afraid, I'll go
>> figure ;-)
>
> I personally just put a vanilla installation of kde-desktop on any platform
> that is stable. The distro is almost irrelevant, with the exception of
> packaging and hardware detection. I think I'll go with Debian next time. Apart
> from a polished desktop (corporate-ready looks and things like YAST), SUSE
> doesn't seem to have a big advantage. It contains a lot of software that's
> nicely integrated though.

It's certainly more polished that some distros, in my experience. It's
also on the heavy side if you just want a simple home desktop, but as a
workstation it's extremely comprehensive and solid. 10.2 doesn't go mad
with the eye-candy, either. I use GNOME, and just have compiz with wobbly
windows and a rotating cube.

Hardware detection is excellent, I've found, and the jemreport page for
Hacking OpensSUSE gives clear instructions for getting multimedia set up
for DVD playing, etc. For the non-purists who just want a stable,
professional-looking desktop, SUSE is a good choice.

--
Kier