Re: [News] [Rival] Might There be No OOXML After All?

____/ [H]omer on Tuesday 04 September 2007 14:27 : \____

>> France's AFNOR Has an Idea: Merge ODF and OOXML - Updated
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | If you read French, here is AFNOR's very intriguing suggestion, that OOXML
>> | and ODF merge.
>> `----
>
> Excellent idea; that way we can not only encumber ODF with Microsoft
> patents, but we can taint it with their proprietary binary blobs too.
>
> Why didn't /I/ think of that?

There's no chance of convergence. Just look at OOXML's defunct date formatting
mode. It needs a complete rewrite that reuses standards, in which case it will
end up more like ODF (naturally).. but it's like reskinning a cat or
something... OOXML is no longer OOXML at that stage.

Roy S. Schestowitz     | Run a Linux server, then learn how to knit
Tasks: 122 total,   1 running, 121 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie