Re: [News] Apple's Linux Lock Goes Kaput, New iPods Will Work Just Fine

____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 20 September 2007 16:14 : \____

>> ____/ [H]omer on Monday 17 September 2007 23:41 : \____

>>> Oh yes indeed, and from an engineering perspective it's a little beauty.
>>> Pity it doesn't play any of the tens of thousands of Ogg Vorbis and FLAC
>>> audio files in my collection, nor any of my theora video ... or DivX,
>>> MPEG1, MPEG2, mjpeg, realvideo, or XviD (of which I have a rather large
>>> number).
>>>
>>> Maybe this would help:
>>>
>>> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7fG6gOS0IQg
>>>
>>> The GP2X-F200 powered by GNU/Linux.
>>>
>>> I hear it plays both Vorbis and Theora (with FFPlay), as well as all of
>>> the above, and games, and applications, and ...
>>
>> It's inexpensive, it funds Linux developers, and it brings Free systems to a
>> wider market. Were I to buy another PDA today, it would probably not be
>> another Palm (unless they get their act together and bring out the Linux
>> devices already). I can't really think of any devices out there that thrive
>> without Linux, iPods being the exception for music players and Symbian being
>> the exception for phones.
>>

> The GP2x is an excellent device.  My lads are very happy with theirs,
> and they do seem to play a wide range of material, mainly because they
> use mplayer.  They're actually more flexible than the Nokia N800 in this
> respect, although there is a version of Mplayer for the N800, I've not
> found out how to integrate it with the UPnP browser stuff, which all
> seems to want to use the built-in player.

I've just read about the next-gen GP2X. The release date is set to be some time
in October. They must have sold well... small company finds the magic of Free
software and builds a product from scratch so quickly. Can't beat that!

Steve Ballmer is even monkier than his moniker suggests
         run-level 2  2007-09-10 01:53                   last=