[News] DirectX 10 Disappoints for Many Reasons

  • Subject: [News] DirectX 10 Disappoints for Many Reasons
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:09:45 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
DX10 games are out, and I'm running them all under DX9.

,----[ Quote ]
| Having done a lot of testing with new DX10 titles, I'm coming to the
| conclusion that:
|
| 1.  DX10 API has got problems
| 2.  DX10 graphics hardware has got problems
| 3.  Nobody understands how to use DX10 API effectively yet
| 4.  Vista x86 and x64 is broken
| 5.  ATI/nVidia drivers are crap
`----

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245023-33-dx10-games-running

Related:

Vista-only game cracked

,----[ Quote ]
| Falling Leaf Studios had previously reported that they were working
| on the 'Alky Project' that would contribute 'Alky Compatibility
| Libraries' to allow the successful running of Halo 2 and Shadowrun
| on Windows XP machines.
|
| Looks like it was a lot simpler than that.

Hacked DX10 for Windows appears

,----[ Quote ]
| A chap called Cody Brocious from San Diego, California, claims to
| have started to create an wrapper for Windows executables so that
| they can be ran on another operating system, with no prejudice
| about that operating system.
|
| A year in, the Alky Project has gone live under the cover of a
| company Falling Leaf Systems. Members of its Sapling Program will
| be able to get the wrappers for DirectX10 applications and run
| them not just on DX10 hardware under Windows XP, but with some
| DX9 hardware as well.

Valve questions Microsoft's commitment to PC gaming

,----[ Quote ]
| Half-Life 2 developer Valve thinks that Microsoft's current
| "Games for Windows" marketing push is a cynical ploy to sell
| more copies of Windows Vista, rather than a genuine effort to
| invigorate the PC gaming market.
`----

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/03/12/valve_questions_microsofts_commitment/

Inside CNET Labs: Lamenting DirectX 10

,----[ Quote ]
| We compared the same title side by side on a system running DX10 on Vista to
| the same title on an identical system running DX9 on XP, and it's
| difficult--sometimes impossible--to detect significant differences in how the
| games look or perform.
`----

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9750536-1.html

Adding DX10 has "done nothing"

,----[ Quote ]
| Having tested the DX10 rendering path against the DX9 version, the chaps at
| the fantastically named Elite Bastards say that they can't "Help but feel a
| little disappointed to see yet another game where the inclusion of DirectX 10
| functionality has done nothing for the title either graphically or from
| performance standpoint".

Valve survey shows hundreds of thousands steamed up

,----[ Quote ]
| However, the survey also shows how far Microsoft et al have to go
| - currently, DX10-capable gamers (ie those with Vista and a DX10 card)
| make up 1.21% of the gaming population.
|         ^^^^^

DAAMIT! AMD's DX10 is not up to scratch

,----[ Quote ]