Re: [News] PCLinuxOS Wins Out of the Box, Vista Loses and Punishes (Despite Getting Preinstalled)

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 21:57:18 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ____/ Rick on Thursday 27 September 2007 21:20 : \____
>
>>> PClinuxOS 2007.0 Review
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> blindly consider (k)ubuntu to be the best linux distro; I am | always
>>> open to newcomers. In recent days, PClinuxOS 2007.0 was | released, and
>>> quickly hit the top of of the distrowatch charts. | I decided to
>>> download it and give this relatively new distribution | a text run on my
>>> Acer Aspire 5050 laptop, nicknamed the geebee. `----
>>>
>>> http://nosrednaekim.wordpress.com/2007/05/30/pclinuxos-20070-review/
>>

>> ... and yet Ubuntu gets all the press. I don't understand.
>
> Me neither, but Ubuntu has q lot of decent features too, particularly ones that
> simplify, say... Flash/gnash and codec installations for a new user. It's
> probably simple to achieve in PCLOS too.

Preinstalled for some of it, I think

> I have always said that Ubuntu got popular because of its ditribution of CDs
> (free shipping). It's also the reason that I installed the first version of
> Ubuntu (4.04).

It's got a much larger community, larger developer base, and a solid
company with money behind it. And it's based on Debian. Those ares some of
the reasons.

PCLOS has done very well, though, considering its small dev team. That no
doubt makes decision-making easier. It's a good distro but I don't see it
taking over Ubuntu for a while, if ever, Distrowatch rankings
notwithstanding.

--
Kier