Re: [News] Another Sub-$100 PC is Planned

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 26 Sep 2007 05:03:30 +0100
<1503907.NCHd54ftNC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Wednesday 26 September 2007 00:38 : \____
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Tue, 25 Sep 2007 22:19:37 +0100
>> <2950218.Qyldb30nX1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 25 September 2007 21:36 : \____

> http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9782444-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

>> Not to mention kiosks, industrial controllers, and various
>> other utility functions where ruggedness is a premium
>> (no built-in damagable gyroscope! :-) )
>>
>> Granted, one probably wouldn't use laptops for those --
>> but the motherboard could presumably be put in a different
>> holder.
>>

>>> What I sometimes find incredible is that some of our 'fellow'
>>> shills fail to see why someone would want such a cheap PC for
>>> work. It's akin to "let them have cakes" because Redmond's
>>> troops cannot understand that most people are unable to
>>> afford Surface, let alone a $450 PC, which might require
>>> saving money _for years_.
>>>
>>> Linux opens doors.
>>>

>> And doesn't require Windows.  (Hey, *someone* had to say it...)
>
> It depends. Many people require Windows in order to use Linux.
> You know, they need something with which to obtain the ISO,
> burn a Linux CD, and then rewrite the hard-drive. ;-)

Considering the saturation of the home PC market, that's
probably not a big worry.  In my case I have no less than
4 PCs in varying degrees of disorder, and two functional
Amigas to boot.  (It might actually be more but I've not
tried the 2000s lately.  It's a long story.)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux.  Because life's too short for a buggy OS.