Re: [News] Advice for Escaping Windows in Favour of Linux

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Tuesday 25 September 2007 21:58 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 25 Sep 2007 16:30:29 +0100
> <4568605.onuEIfVgFJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> How to Quit Windows and cope with Windows Withdrawal Syndrome
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Now that you have decided to quit Windows for good and
>> | to switch over to a Desktop Linux Distribution, following
>> | these basic steps will help you a lot.  Initially, a basic
>> | knowledge about GNU/Linux is important. What is it really
>> | and how does it differ from Windows?
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=307
>
> Heh.  A few notes.
>
> [1] Intel, if I'm not totally mistaken, is on record as
> supporting Linux.  Admittedly, a quick Google coughed
> up only a video and a wireless driver or two, and this
> three-year-old article:
>
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5161041.html
>
> A search on Intel's website also coughed up their C++ compiler,
> a performance analyzer (VTune(tm)), a math kernel library
> (not sure if that's kernel as in Linux, kernel as in core,
> or kernel as in kerning transformations), a Fortran compiler,
> a threading library, and a whole lot of other stuff -- 12900
> in all, if the count's accurate.
>
> Kudos to Intel.
>
> [2] Drafts aren't hard on Linux, even if one is using gedit.
> CUPS is also very capable, if one wants to print them later.
>
> [3] I'm not sure I like the notion of destroying Windows
> install CDs (I'm a pack rat; I admit it :-) )...the
> temptation is there, admittedly, but they'll also grow
> stale anyway.  I have some Win95 stuff flying about, and
> even older Win3.1 installation packs.  Do I use them?  No.
> Still, for those of a certain mindset, it's probably best
> to put them out of reach, and if that involves destroying
> them, so be it.

I suppose the following is out of the question then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcOuwXTOHy4

Or one of these assorted BSD 'rituals' for SCO...

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=unix+sco&search=Search

Skip the first (although it's funny too and I mentioned it in BN.com last
year).

> [4] "Back up and format" is an interesting requirement,
> but how does one restore later on?  The article could be
> clearer on this.  The good news: anyone familiar with DVD
> or CD burning software should be able to burn a DVD or CD
> that Linux can read, and I would be surprised if Linux
> can't read the Microsoft extensions (Joliet is the only
> one I'm somewhat familiar with).  Or one can use ancient
> 1.44 MB floppies, or even tape drives, in a pinch.
>
> [5] As usual, the author(s) confuse Linux, the kernel, with
> an arbitrary Linux-based distribution.  *shrug*
>
> [6] There is no mention of how to avoid Windows in
> new equipment, but that's probably beyond the scope of
> the article anyway.  One of Microsoft's more insidious
> "innovations", after all, is the bundling of Windows
> on prepackaged PCs.  Even if one later wipes Windows,
> Microsoft still gets paid.
>
> (lucky bastards :-) )

Bell used to have similar schemes going on. That's how you build a monopolistic
framework and a cash machine. If the government does not intervene, something
is rotten (or someone is paid).

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    #ff0000 Hot Chilli Peppers
 22:05:01 up 15 days, 20:11,  5 users,  load average: 0.98, 1.16, 1.24