Re: 1337 Users Prefer Windows... Because of the Thrill of Having to Handle Complexity

On 2007-09-23, wjp <wjp1942@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 06:41:53 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
><newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>I has just occurred to me that Windows was left somewhat behind in the 'dark
>>ages' of the CLI. For example, in order to obtain the MAC address of a network
>>device in Linux, one just need to click on buttons and follow the GUIs. Nice
>>and easy, right?
>>
> //snipped for brevity//
>
> Roy, I truly admire all the work you do for Linux Advocacy, however, I
> am in a state of frustration right at the present over a couple of Linux
> complexity's that I find unacceptable.
>
> I just installed Debian 4.0R1 on this machine, (though I am writing this
> in Windows XP - Forte Agent).  I installed Pan so that I could read the
> Linux newsgroups, and it downloaded the last 5 days of messages with no
> problem.
>
> In one of the messages, a You-Tube url was given.  I clicked on the
> reference, and it took me to the You-Tube site.  However, it would not
> play the movie (in Epiphany) because it said that I did not have the
> latest Flash player.  I can understand that.  I went to the reference
> and downloaded the tar-gz file, then opened the file and it created a
> folder with three files in it.
>
> Now here is where Linux is NOT simple, NOT easy.  I could not, and have

	The default download handler will be the gnome version of winzip.
If you choose not to use that, the default download location will be the
DESKTOP. You don't have to look for anything...

> not yet found those three files or the directory where they're located.

	Total bullshit.

> I did a file search and it showed that the files are out there, but,
> when I opened a terminal, I could not get to them.  Okay, I give up.

	Now running the installer could be a problem for the n00b.

	Although this is still primarily a packaging problem, a 3rd party
	vendor packaging problem and doesn't really have anything to do
	with Linux.

> Next, I did a check and it seems that Firefox is installed somewhere on
> the machine.  Hmmmmmmmmmm......... the opening icon is nowhere to be
> found.  I go to the install mechanism, and it appears that Firefox's

	Try "Applications-> Internet" in the main menu.

[deletia]

	When you tell lies about Debian. Next time make sure there are
	no Debian users in the room next time.

--

	iTunes is not progressive. It's a throwback.		|||
							       / | \