Re: [News] Government Faces Backlash for Sinking Money and Productivity with Rubbish Software

____/ 7 on Wednesday 16 April 2008 22:57 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Government faces crunch on Microsoft mega-deal
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Rumour has it that Microsoft hasn't been feeling appreciated in the
>> | public sector, thinking its customers don't know what a good deal
>> | they've been getting since the MOU was first negotiated in 2002. BECTA,
>> | the procurement quango for the education sector, has recommended schools
>> | don't upgrade to Microsoft Vista and Office 2007.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | "There's a big anti-Microsoft lobby growing on the green agenda" he
>> | said, especially among local councils who were beginning to realise that
>> | PC's were power hungry and expensive to maintain. They were taking
>> | interest in think-client computers instead.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/15
> uk-gov-faces-crunch-microsoft
>

> Over the last few years, I have been learning a lot of Linux and one
> thing I can be sure of is that Linux does things well and differently.
>
> And I was listening to someone talking the windoo lan guage to day.
> It was for the most part it was a total throw back to 1990.
> It was understandable and in English, but totally incomprehensible bull
> all at the same time. Linux runs corporations with commands like dd, rsync,
> chmod, nc and ssh. Anyone who doesn't understand such basics doesn't
> understand anything about IT even if they are fluent in windoo lan guage.
> Such bool spok wan in windoo lan guage is gon na cost these COM panies
> dearly in lost prod activity and money down the drain on crap sys tems.

There are nice GUIs for all of these tools, which are merely Swiss army knives
that are well polished and centrally maintained. Microsoft is trying to adopt
a similar development model because it failed with Windows and it's probably
too late for a radical redesign. Apple adopts this paradigm to an extent,
having leanred from the dead end called OS 9. It cost it a lot... in terms of
lost time, but it's catching up big time at the moment.

The Intel-Dell-MS oligopoly/treo can be weakened by competition (Freedom)
 00:05:01 up 1 day, 22:17,  3 users,  load average: 0.48, 0.74, 0.92