Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, High Plains Thumper
<highplainsthumper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Mon, 14 Apr 2008 22:45:49 -0600
<48043311$0$583$6e1ede2f@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Linonut on Saturday :
>>> Matt fired off:

>>> Does he mean that they are doing a redesign, or just an ad
>>> hoc refactoring?
>>>
>>> Of course, they'll still have the apps to redesign/refactor.
>>
>> Here's what they do here (a friend E-mailed me this some hours
>> ago):
>>
>> "In the face of strong competition, Evangelism's focus may
>> shift immediately to the next version of the same technology,
>> however. Indeed, Phase 1 (Evangelism Starts) for version x+1
>> may start as soon as this Final Release of version X."
>>
>> --- Microsoft, internal document
>> http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf
>
> I take the announcements with a grain of salt.  One is never sure
> what will transpire, when it is ready to distribute it is ready
> to distribute.
>
> Meanwhile, Linux will continue to be the choice OS to install on
> lighter hardware, knowing that it will perform well as expected
> and stable.

No it won't.  Not that Linux isn't a good OS, mind you --
but there's other factors involved, such as marketing.
It's far easier to sell junk to the populace than to turn
out a quality product; we'll buy almost *anything*, especially
if it's well-presented.

> Best test is to try the software.  It helps overcome the troll
> nonsense being posted in this newsgroup, which is BASICALLY OUT
> TO DESTROY LINUX REPUTATION in a sad jihad of evangelism tainted
> with half truths and in some cases, out right lies.

This may be the seamier side thereof.  Of course it's in
Microsoft's interest to paint the opposition as a bunch
of amateuristic fools.  (They're half-right.  Amateur is
derived from "with love" or "to love"; Linux is a labor
of love.  Of course with IBM and other such wading in it's
a potential profit center as well, especially with respect
to its reliability.  But IBM can't quite match Microsoft
in marketing yet.)

> One falsehood is that Linux advocates hate Windows.  This is not
> true; we use it where needed.  Having knowledge of the strengths
> and weaknesses of Windows gives us a benchmark for comparing Linux.
>
> After comparing the 2, I have a definite preference for Linux.  I
> prefer the stability it brings, the empowerment to save money,
> keep lighter and cheaper hardware fully operational, newer faster
> hardware operating at peak efficiency for applications.
>
> It also helps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by running
> lighter on hardware.

Not at all sure how much of a factor this is; there's a
fair number of issues here.  Of course ideally we wouldn't
need computer clock pulses anyway, but I have noticed on
my laptop that when idle it doesn't need to cool itself
nearly as much.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  It'll Fix Everything(tm).