Re: [News] GNU/Linux Desktop Now Just Over 100 Quid in the UK

____/ Homer on Monday 14 April 2008 11:36 : \____

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/eSys+S709001UK+Intel+PC+System+%2B+Linux+?productId=30498&page=1&rqcType=

> Check out the tagline:
>
> "Whether you're a linux user or not, there's no denying that it's going
> from strength to strength! With better efficiency and security, there's
> nothing stopping you from becoming one of the converts!"
>
> Beats the usual "WARNING! this PC runs Linux" garbage that one sees at
> e.g. Dell.
>
> There's "selling" and then there's /selling/. Certain vendors seem to
> provide Linux with a degree of reluctance that I find appalling. Aria
> isn't one of them.
>
> After retailers' (such as Dixons) massive losses due to Vista, I bet we
> can expect to see Linux machines being sold, in other traditionally
> Windows shops, with just as much enthusiasm in the future.
>
> Britain's biggest retailer, Tesco, is still selling eSys Linux machines
> also:
>
> http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-3224.aspx
>
> ... with a slightly less friendly tagline. They should take a PR tip
> from Aria.

Just got a semi-automated E-mail from Aria. They added my short review, which
is self explanatory.

Microsoft loves competition.
"I’m thinking of hitting the OEMs harder than in the past with anti-Linux. ...
they should do a delicate dance"
                --Joachim Kempin, Microsoft OEM Chief