Re: [News] VMware Has Debt to Free Software

Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> * Mark Kent peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>> I think his final claim is just wrong.  A "thunk" layer springs to mind,
>> although I forget the details.
>
> Well, just what is "virtualization" anyway?

So far as I recall, DOS remained resident, and Win95 passed calls
through it.  There was no virtualisation that I can recall.  The DOS
window which Win95 presented was something else, which might be what
Timmy is referring to.  Even in the virtualised PC environment which
Win95 presented in a DOS window, though, it wasn't fully virtualised -
you could easily crash the machine from there.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |