Re: [News] Portugal Conned by Microsoft and Intel to Fight Free Software

> In the end, it's the parents/tutors that decide if they buy a laptop for
> their child. I know several parents that are still undecided as to what is
> best for their child's educational path.

It seems to me that its all political with serious money behind it. Unless
Linux is going to be the global OS of the future, then people are going to
stick with Windows. Whether you love it or hate it, windows is the OS in
the office, its whats used. So why teach kids how to use Linux when
Windows is being used ?

Ive always said, if your a big company, you want to buy software that does
the job, like accountancy software. And kmymoney2 or gnucash just doesnt
cut the mustard. Plus companies want support, then want someone on the end
of a line, or an engineer who is going to come to site and fix the problem
within a 2 hr SLA. Trust me, Ive been there, done it, shagged the dog, got
the t shirt. Companies are going to refuse to go to a forum and ask
for free help "Try this, it worked for me, so it might work for you.".

The only two programs I have used that could piss off Microsoft is
Openoffice aand Scribus, which match MS Office & Publisher. Oh plus of
course, Evolution email and Firefox.

So unless businesses are prepared to install Ubuntu and pay Canonical for
support, then I fear Linux will never get the upper hand in a lot of
European business, unless its purely used for firewalls. And I believe
(but I could be wrong) but linux was originally for firewalls, and never
intended for the desktop with its fancy GUI's to rival the fancy shite of
vista. But this is a post for thought and serious, polite discussion.