Re: Fairness in marketing

Verily I say unto thee, that chrisv spake thusly:

> And isn't it obvious that something is amiss when one can buy the
> engineering marvel known as a DVD player for $30, and the freaking
> WIRE used to connect it to the TV costs MORE?

On a related point...

I made the mistake of spending a fortune on a DVD player (based on my
research of various reviews), only to discover that the bargain-basement
systems at my local supermarket were better, despite being an order of
magnitude cheaper.

For a start, the cheapies play everything from DVD-V/R/RW to MP3 and
XviD; they're not fussy about blank disc brands; they last just as long
as the expensive players (i.e. before reaching the point where they
can't recognise discs any more, and become hyper-sensitive to even the
slightest scratches); they're usually region-free out the box, or easily
modded using the remote; and when they ultimately break, it's no big
deal to spend another £15/$30 to replace it. In fact, even if the
cheapies broke sooner than the expensive machines, in the long run it'd
still be cheaper, whilst ironically being more functional.

It's another clear case of More Expensive != Better.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
|  the most practical one. That point of view lasted for maybe two
|  weeks after initial exposure to Lisp."   ~ Constantine Vetoshev

 02:15:31 up 35 days,  9:58,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00