Re: Fairness in marketing

Homer wrote:

>Verily I say unto thee, that chrisv spake thusly:
>>
>> One thing that comes to mind is the "Monster cable" scam.  This is an
>> organized scam that takes consumers for $millions each year.  People
>> go to stores and have salesmen LIE to their face about the "night
>> and day" benefits of using expensive cables for one's audio and
>> video.
>>
>> Should these asshole bes sued?  Arrested?  Taken-out and shot?
>>
>> Maybe all three, but I don't see anyone doing anything about it...
>
>Maybe if they were giving ostensibly impartial recommendations that were
>actually paid endorsements, without revealing that fact, then people
>might be inclined to complain.

Well, it get-into the fuzziness of what is a "paid endorsement".  What
Monster does do is pay for "marketing retreats", which of course are
largely expenses-paid vacations for the retail representatives.  There
they work-out their scam and how to "market" it to gullible consumers.
Then they simply execute their plan, a key feature of which is
extraordinary price mark-ups.

"Just lie to the consumer so that they buy the overpriced product, and
we'll all get rich."

Is that a "paid endorsement"?  I think it is.