Re: Fairness in marketing

chrisv wrote:

>>One problem is that it's likely not possible to legislate some of
>>these finer points of what is "fair", or what is a "recommendation",
>>or what is "obviously" a paid advertisement.  Any attempt would result
>>in vague and unenforceable laws, I'm afraid.
>
> One thing that comes to mind is the "Monster cable" scam.  This is an
> organized scam that takes consumers for $millions each year.  People
> go to stores and have salesmen LIE to their face about the "night and
> day" benefits of using expensive cables for one's audio and video.

Well, there *is* a difference to be heard. If you connect a good amp to
very good loudspeakers, you can hear a (slight) difference between thin
cables and thick ones. And make them as *short* as possible

But you can get the thick ones at any electric shop of your lowest
mistrust. No need to go to the superexpensive HiFi shop

> Should these asshole bes sued?  Arrested?  Taken-out and shot?
>
> Maybe all three, but I don't see anyone doing anything about it...

Well, tarring and feathering would be a good start.

On the other hand, they exploit the same weaknesses Apple does with their
stuff. They tell a willing audience that they are a "special kind"
deserving "special gear"
--
Microsoft: which revised Eula do you want to accept today?