Re: [News] Computer software terms 'unfair'

____/ Robin T Cox on Tuesday 19 February 2008 16:29 : \____

> Computer software terms 'unfair'
>
> Story from BBC NEWS:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/business/7252707.stm
>
> Published: 2008/02/19 15:20:51 GMT
>
> Some of the world's biggest computer firms have been accused of imposing
> unfair contracts on customers who buy their software.
>
> The National Consumer Council (NCC) has accused 17 firms, including
> Microsoft, Adobe and Symantec, of using unfair "end user licence
> agreements" (EULAs).
>
> The NCC has asked the Office of Fair Trading to launch an investigation.
>
> The NCC said the firms' EULAs were misleading customers into "signing
> away legal rights".
>
> "Software rights-holders are shifting the legal burden on to consumers
> who buy computer programmes, leaving them with less protection than when
> they buy a cheap Biro," said Carl Belgrove of the NCC.
>
> "Consumers can't have a clue what they're signing up to when some terms
> and conditions run to 10 or more pages.
>
> "There's a significant imbalance between the rights of the consumer and
> the rights of the holder," he added.
>
> 'Legal responsibility'
>
> As one of the firms named by the NCC, Microsoft said it had not seen the
> details of the report and was unable to comment.
>
> But it added that it was committed to dealing "fairly" with consumers and
> addressing any concerns they might have.
>
> The NCC looked at 25 software packages and said that in 17 instances, the
> packaging did not tell potential buyers they would have to sign an EULA
> in order to use it.
>
> While some contained the EULA inside an instruction manual, or let it be
> read online, this was only after the software had been bought.
>
> "This means that consumers are unable to make informed decisions before
> they buy a product, yet are being forced to take on an unknown level of
> legal responsibility," said the NCC.
>
> After examining the contents of the EULAs, the NCC also said that some
> contained potentially unfair clauses.

It'll be interesting to see the outcome of this. Some stories of interest that
spring to mind are:

Do Microsoft's EULAs have any real legal basis?

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft has no special exemption from the sale of goods act." Well,
| no, probably not - but it might still be selling you "services"
| instead of "goods". But the real point to remember is that it doesn't
| matter a jot what the "logical" position is, it is what the courts
| decide that matters.
|
| As far as I know, no one has tested Microsoft's EULAs in a UK court
| and, until someone does, Microsoft will just go on assuming that they
| work. And I don't fancy the risk of taking on Microsoft's expensive
| lawyers in court myself...
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/04/25/microsoft_eula/

Maybe this one too:

EULA: What Are You Signing Away?

,----[ Quote ]
| EULAs are not negotiated or negotiable, they are rarely read, and they are
| frequently difficult to obtain, said Rasch. "I just bought an iPhone and
| couldn't even see the TOS until I opened the box, synched the iPhone and then
| agreed to the TOS -- and had to pay a restocking fee and activation fee if I
| disagreed," Rasch commented.

Some people take licenses for granted and until they slide Vista down the chute
and move to XP and Linux they just don't appreciate their rights as customers.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    It is no longer uncommon to be uncommon