Re: Dell Releases High-End Laptop with Ubuntu

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Tuesday 19 February 2008 19:13 : \____

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp/biographies/en/msd_computers?c=us&l=en&s=corp

> The latter is presumably a replacement for
> his Ubuntuified Precision M90.  The story
>
> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS5149877302.html
>
> is now in error, mostly because it's not corrected its link.
>
> In any event, *Dell should not commit to Linux*.  It is not
> a requirement for sale for most people, nor is it clear that
> it will immediately increase revenue.  I don't think it should
> forbid it either, and in any event I'm an ant next to a $44B
> company, so it's not up to me anyway. ;-)
>
> But a company lives or dies by revenue.  If enough people
> forsake Dell because it doesn't provide Linux, it'll get
> the message.  I for one think such unlikely, but it's been
> a weird year.

Don't help the Trolls create baseless rumours.

"I feel we are much too smug in dealing with Novell. Perhaps they didn’t hurt
us in DOS yet — but it’s not because of product or their trying. It’s because
we already had the OEMs wrapped up."

                --Jim Allchin, Microsoft