Re: Make up your mind, Roy! (was Re: [News] Blu-ray Win a Death of Microsoft XBox, a Win to Linux-ready PS3)

Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>> It's not.  Supporting Blu-Ray is not anti-DRM, it's anti-Microsoft.  It's

<snip>

> Extree extree!  Erik claims Roy killed HD-DVD!
>
> Not to mention that, as far as I could tell, Microsoft was playing both
> side of that street.

Microsoft have been breaking so many laws for so long in so many ways,
it's hard to do anything but smile when they are on the losing team.
They are still trying to manipulate the ISO system, they've got ECMA
running around like a little puppy, they're funding SCO to have yet
another attack on Linux, they're trying to kill the OLPC project with
Intel, they've swallowed £130 millions of BBC taxpayer's cash with no
intention at all of *ever* producing a linux iPlayer.  They're bribing
journalists with trips, dinners, entertainement and more, they send
expensive laptops to bloggers who promote Vista, they hide their
security patches, they claim *copyright* on their software bugs, they
used highly illegal tactics to kill DRDOS, they copied stacker, they are
happy to use BSD code without ever returning anything, they've been
spewing out anti-linux FUD for years (see "get the facts"), they have
their own employees pretend to review PS3 versus Xbox360 (a Mr Yu), they
have MSNBC promote their products, their software is so bloated that
everyone needs to replace all their hardware ever 3 years in order to
keep using it, they use proprietary storage formats in order to prevent
users from accessing /their own/ data, they willfully destroyed
Netscape, they lied to a Judge about their actions (at least once), they
force magazines and technical sites to present only positive articles
about their products (causing some journalists to leave some
publications), they have a EULA which attempts to prevent comparisons.
They use deliberately loaded comparisons with competing products.
They've "embraced and extended" multiple standards with a view to
destroying competition, including IE and the Web through active X and
more, including hashing algorithms for authentication, and more.
They've bought into Novell for the express purpose of having a Linux
distributor support their "patent" claims regarding the Linux kernel,
they make unsubstantiated claims regarding patents simply for the
purpose of creating a climate of fear.  They've illegally tied music
player formats to Windows, and been fined by the EU for doing so.
They've created the BSA in order to "cash in", why?  Because, in spite
of their stance on copyright violation ("piracy"), they actually have
also stated that they /want/ people to "pirate" windows, so that they'll
become hooked and MS can "collect later".  They have created probably
the most insecure code-base which has ever been created, which has
resulted in, amongst other things, botnets so powerful they've been able
to flood the global email system with spam.

... I could go on, and on, and on, and on...  but I don't need to.  You
can read the News postings, or the Digests, which have now being going
for about 18 months, and you can backtrack through a detailed history of
everything they've done.  You can read Groklaw and a detailed analysis
of their actions via SCO.

The issue with Microsoft is not really that some posters here, or people
elsewhere, are anti-Microsoft, rather, it's that Microsoft are
anti-everyone.  You don't make friends by attacking everyone else.