Re: Make up your mind, Roy! (was Re: [News] Blu-ray Win a Death of Microsoft XBox, a Win to Linux-ready PS3)

* Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:

> It's not.  Supporting Blu-Ray is not anti-DRM, it's anti-Microsoft.  It's
> clear that Roy was apparently molested as a child by Bill Gates or
> something (yes, i'm being sarcastic).
>
> Roy is so vehemently anti-Microsoft that he will take *ANY* position that
> is anti-Microsoft no matter how bad it may be for his best interests.
>
> HD-DVD is a prime example.  The fact of the matter is, HD-DVD competition
> forced Sony to compromise on the draconian measures that Blu-Ray originally
> had.  For instance, Blu-Ray did not offer mandatory managed copy (the
> ability to make backup copies and exercise your fair use rights), leaving
> it up to the studios to decide if they wanted to let you make a copy or not
> (you know what that answer would be).  HD-DVD required giving users the
> ability to make backups.  Sony eventually caved on this because of HD-DVD
> competition.
>
> Now that HD-DVD is dead, Sony has already started talking about
> "improvements" to Blu-Ray, which you can bet will restrict the few freedoms
> they've conceded because of the competition.
>
> Good job guys.

Extree extree!  Erik claims Roy killed HD-DVD!

Not to mention that, as far as I could tell, Microsoft was playing both
side of that street.

--
We will never make a 32-bit operating system.
   -- Bill Gates, At the launch of MSX[3]