Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Claimed to Be the Best of FOSS

On 2008-02-17, Rick <none@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 14:48:36 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> ____/ Rick on Sunday 17 February 2008 14:42 : \____

>>> It seems to me that every point in the article equally applies to
>>> PCLinuxOS.
>>>

>> http://www.geekmirror.com/2008/02/17/ubuntu-710-the-best-of-open-source-
> software/

>>> While Ubuntu is a very solid distribution, I think its excellent
>>> marketing is the thing that has put it out front.
>>
>> I've always thought it was the free CDs (and shipping) that gave it
>> momentum.
>
> That's all part of the marketing.

    It also helps something considerable that if you go looking
for help on a particular problem, more often than not you will
find at least one Ubuntu solution. The same goes for Gentoo to
a lesser extent. Both user communities can be used as a resource
for anyone that runs Linux. The Suse HW compatability database
used to be like this.

--

	Truth is irrelevant as long as the predictions are good.      |||
                                                                     / | \