Re: Roy Schestowitz Complains about Search Engine Poisoning.

In article <oly74l8zlzjj$.quqrz38y5ih8$.dlg@xxxxxxxxxx>,
 Moshe Goldfarb <brick.n.straw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://digg.com/linux_unix/Microsoft_Launches_Get_the_Facts_Smear_Campaign_Aga
> inst_ODF
>
> Schestowitz whining about the very thing he is doing every single day!!
>
> Also notice the referral back to one of his own hate Blogs.
>
> This boy is some piece of work.....

Here's one you'll enjoy.  On this page:

   <http://boycottnovell.com/2008/02/16/microsoft-ooxml-shills/>

Roy says:

   As far as OOXML goes, Microsoft does this too. It is no exception.
   For instance, we have already seen the company paying experts to
   edit Wikipedia in Microsoft's (and OOXML's) favour. This is more
   than an isolated incident. It's very systematic and there are
   references that cohesively make a very compelling proof of this.

and "paying...Wikipedia" is a link.  Following the link to find Roy's
evidence for this claim, what do you find?  We find this page:

   <http://boycottnovell.com/2007/11/30/favours-for-ooxml-support/>

and on that page, where is the evidence?  Nowhere.  The only thing that
mentions paying for Wikipedia edits is this:

   Nice move, Microsoft. Trying to beat freedom using incentives, eh?
   Where else have we seen that before? Maybe the briberies in Sweden?
   Maybe the incident where you paid for Wikipedia edits of the article
   on OOXML? Or maybe it was the fake OOXML support from your business
   partners, whom you urged to go and vote for OOXML?

No link or other cite.  So, notice what we have.  Roy has taken to
simply citing himself to support his arguments.

There actually was an incident where MS offered to pay someone to look
at the OOXML page.  The person they picked was a person well known,
active, and respected in open standards circles, and the offer was to
pay him to look at the page and correct any errors he found--whether
they be pro or anti OOXML errors.  It is possible that this is what Roy
is thinking about on the second page--but then note that on the first
page, he's grossly mischaracterizing it when he says they paid for edits
in their favor.  (And he says experts, not expert, so seems to be
thinking of more than once incident).

Here's a Digg post on that, with a link to the expert's blog entry on
the offer:

<http://digg.com/software/Microsoft_hires_standards_expert_to_work_on_Wik
ipedia_entry_on_ODF_OOXML>

and here you can see that expert's qualications:

   <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Jelliffe>

--
--Tim Smith