[News] Canada Safe from Legalised Bribes and Microsoft Lies for DMCA -- For Now

  • Subject: [News] Canada Safe from Legalised Bribes and Microsoft Lies for DMCA -- For Now
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 07:46:44 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Canadian DMCA On Hold?

,----[ Quote ]
| Rumours tonight indicate that the government has again decided to delay
| introducing the Canadian DMCA.  With the House of Commons off next week and
| the budget coming the following week, if this is true it would appear that
| there will be no copyright legislation for at least another month (assuming
| there is no election).
`----

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/2694/125/

“Analysts sell out - that’s their business model But they are very concerned
that they never look like they are selling out, so that makes them very
prickly to work with.”

                                                        – Microsoft

Recent:

Microsoft Misleads on Copyright Reform

,----[ Quote ]
| The Hill Times this week includes an astonishingly misleading and factually
| incorrect article on Canadian copyright written by Microsoft.
`----

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/2670/125/

Related:

CD copying OK, DRM circumvention not OK

,----[ Quote ]
| Circumventing DRM to make copies for personal use will remain illegal for
| consumers, under copyright reform proposals floated by the UK government
| today....Copyright law should also recognise that consumers can legitimately
| make copies of copyright material they've already bought, the government
| proposes.
|
| Speaking at the launch today, Lord Triesman said it made no sense to prevent
| someone making a playlist for use in the car from material they had
| legitimately purchased.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/08/copyright_reform/

Microsoft: We Like DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| Steve Jobs wants the music business to drop restrictions for digital
| tunes. But Microsoft, which began competing head to head with Apple
| in the digital music business last fall, is happy with the way things
| are, says media exec Robbie Bach.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/08/zune-drm-itunes-tech-media-cx_df_0208bach.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/2lrz3y

Microsoft Tells Apple To Stop Complaining About DRM

http://www.podcastingnews.com/2007/04/13/microsoft-apple-drm/

DRM – a big win for Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
`----