Re: [News] Compiz-Fusion Gets Brilliant Features Including KDE 4 and Wiimote Integration

LEE Sau Dan <danlee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>     Mark> I know, but you still have to remember what is open where.
>     Mark> With the cube, you can see everything in one go,
>
> Er... You can see *all* six faces  of a cube in a realistic 3D view at
> once?  And what if you have 10 virtual desks?  How can they fit into a
> cube?

As I said, you can make the cube transparent, or at least partially
transparent, so you can see what's on each face.

I don't know how you would do multiple virtual desks, perhaps you could
find out and tell us?

>     Mark> pulling it around to the bit you want.
>
> Pull?  That requires energy.

Doh!  It's a mouse gesture.

> My FvwmPager has been delivering me  for 14 years what you said above:
> showing  a  summary, eagle-ey  view  of  all  virtual desks  at  once.
> Moreover, I  don't even  need to use  the mouse  to operate it:  I can
> switch  desks  easily  using  keyboard  shortcuts  --  thanks  to  the
> flexibility of  FVWM.  (It could even  be configured to pop  up upon a
> mouse  click on  the root  window or  any WM  decorations.)

Personally, I found that the consoles were far easier to use than any of
the 2D desktop systems, since you can keep your hands on the keyboard
and not have to touch the mouse at all.  I can touch-type, so I've been
wedded to the terminal for over 30 years.

I suspect that you've not used the Cube, so have no idea about this.  I
suggest that you try it out and see what you think.  I thought I'd never
get pulled away from the command line, and certainly, there was nothing
in any windowing system from twm right up to kde or gnome which I found
particularly helpful when compared with consoles and "screen", but the
Cube really *is* a different approach.

Rather than trying to sell fwvm to me (which I find much harder to use
than the console), try the cube, and see what you think.