Re: [News] Compiz-Fusion Gets Brilliant Features Including KDE 4 and Wiimote Integration

    Mark> I know, but you still have to remember what is open where.
    Mark> With the cube, you can see everything in one go,

Er... You can see *all* six faces  of a cube in a realistic 3D view at
once?  And what if you have 10 virtual desks?  How can they fit into a
cube?

    Mark> pulling it around to the bit you want.

Pull?  That requires energy.

My FvwmPager has been delivering me  for 14 years what you said above:
showing  a  summary, eagle-ey  view  of  all  virtual desks  at  once.
Moreover, I  don't even  need to use  the mouse  to operate it:  I can
switch  desks  easily  using  keyboard  shortcuts  --  thanks  to  the
flexibility of  FVWM.  (It could even  be configured to pop  up upon a
mouse  click on  the root  window or  any WM  decorations.)

Forgotten which  app is  on which  desk?  No problem,  I just  look at
FvwmPager, and use  the keyboard to switch to that  desk and page.  No
need to touch the mouse at all.

    Mark> Because you can make it transparent, you can see
    Mark> immediately.

I can also make the FvwmPager window transparent and "always on top"
with the help of xcompmgr and transset-df.

    Mark> It's a completely different approach to virtual desktops
    Mark> compared with the traditional linux method.

"Traditional"?  The oldest WMs  supporting virtual desks (olvwm, fvwm)
do  offer  a  pager view  that  I  mentioned  above.   You can  see  a
represention  of  what's   on  all  your  desks  at   once.   It's  so
disappointing  that the  recent eye-candiful,  "use-friendly"  WMs all
seem to  follow the CDE approach  an only offer a  GUI button/menu for
changing desks; no summary window of what's on all the desks.

    Mark> Windows, of course, has never even *had* virtual desktops or
    Mark> a separate console...

Why compare a jet-plane with a horse-powered wagon?

    > It runs okay, even on a weak machine. It's bizarre.
    >

    Mark> That is strange.  Have you tried it with the cube?

Yes, I did.   But I don't like it.   It's impressive and eye-candiful.
But it's useless  in terms of my productivity.   It can't even compare
to FvwmPager.

And where is  the config file of Compiz?  What?  It  isn't just a text
file that I can edit with my favourite editor (Emacs), version-control
with my  favourite VC  software (RCS,  CVS or SVN),  and clone  with a
simple 'cp'  command, and  back up with  'tar' + 'gzip'?   No, thanks.
I'll stay with FVWM, which is so much more productive.

--
Lee Sau Dan                     李守敦                          ~{@nJX6X~}

E-mail: danlee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx