[News] New Examples of Security Failures in Proprietary Software

  • Subject: [News] New Examples of Security Failures in Proprietary Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 05:56:14 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Teen hacker re-unlocks Apple's iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| Last year, 17-year-old Geohot was among the first group of hackers to break
| Apple's iron-fisted grasp on the iPhone, a coup that won him a Nissan 350Z
| and 3 8GB iPhones. Apple promptly responded by issuing updated firmware that
| stymied such efforts. Not only did the updates disable modified phones,
| effectively turning them into $400 bricks, they also prevented unlocking
| software from working in many cases. The arms race has persisted ever since.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/11/latest_iphone_hack/

Adobe Reader Trojan predates mystery update by two weeks

,----[ Quote ]
| That's a moot point in the case of the Reader vulnerability, because black
| hat hackers were already ahead of the game. Since January 20, banner ads have
| been actively serving malicious PDF files that exploit the vulnerability to
| install the Zonebac Trojan, iDefense reports. The Trojan modifies search
| results and banner ads, presumably in an attempt to rack up illicit affiliate
| payments.
|
| iDefense reckons the Adobe exploiters are from the same group that used a
| RealPlayer zero-day exploit to install the same Zonebac Trojan.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/11/adobe_reader_exploit/

They tried to keep it all secret despite known exploits, which is worse.

Related:

Why proprietary code is bad for security

,----[ Quote ]
| Tho Skype is using an encrypted protocol, it’s still their own, non-disclosed
| code and property. So we don’t know what it contains.
|
| [...]
|
| It’s time to stop accepting that we are the bad guys, and to stop consuming
| things we just don’t understand (and cannot, because they are proprietary,
| closed-source systems).
|
| Say no to companies, or even governments who treat you like this. Start using
| open sourced products and protocols wherever you can. Even if you could
| still never understand the code used in these systems, there are still lots
| of people who can, and who will examine it. The magic word here is “peer
| review” - your friend or buddy or neighbour may be able to understand all
| that, and to help. No, not with Skype or Windows or any black box from Cisco.
`----

http://wolfgang.lonien.de/?p=394

RealPlayer named by StopBadware.org

,----[ Quote ]
| RealPlayer 10.5, it claims, "fails to accurately and completely disclose the
| fact that it installs advertising software on the user's computer." And
| RealPlayer 11, it claims, "does not disclose the fact that it installs
| Rhapsody Player Engine software, and fails to remove this software when
| RealPlayer is uninstalled." Ryan Lukin, PR manager for RealNetworks, disputed
| some of the claims.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10789_3-9862135-57.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

New "Free the iPhone" campaign pressures FCC over exclusive deals

,----[ Quote ]
| As controversy continues, the iPhone's exclusive carrier deal with AT&T may
| fuel a revolt against all exclusive cellphone contracts. And joining the
| fight is a new web site: Free the iPhone.org.
`----

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure
%20/2007/07/13/new-free-the-iphone-campaign-pressures-fcc-over-exclusive-deals/

iPhone Freed From AT&T, Twice

,----[ Quote ]
| The company will be selling licenses to the hack, minimum quantity 500, at a
| price not yet announced. These hacks are much bigger news for those outside
| America. Expect to see an industry spring up to meet European (and Asian?)
| demand for freed iPhones.
`----

http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/24/1858252&from=rss

IPhone Contract Is Long and Legally Murky

,----[ Quote ]
| The bad news: The iPhone contract may not be the last word in overly long and
| complex user agreements. Terms-of-service contracts promise to grow even more
| dense, legal experts warn, making them even more difficult to understand than
| they already are.
`----

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/wireless/news/2007/07/iphone_contract

iPhone matures the "free your phone" movement

,----[ Quote ]
| This is why FreeTheIPhone.org project is born, but even better, why OpenMoko
| project exists. While some are trying to free the locked down device, others
| are creating a free unlocked device from the start, and a whole software
| framework to go with it.
`----

http://www.mobiliberty.com/iphone_matures_free_your_phone_movement

OpenMoko Neo1973 - an open source Linux based iPhone killer in the making ?

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2007/07/openmoko-neo1973-open-source-linux.html