[News] Canonical/Ubuntu Credits Peers for Success of GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Canonical/Ubuntu Credits Peers for Success of GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 05:52:56 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
SCALE 6x trip report

,----[ Quote ]
| Jono Bacon, the community manager for the Ubuntu Linux distribution,
| delivered the morning keynote. He talked about the overlapping roles and
| responsibilities that communities, distributions, and corporations have in
| shaping the future of Linux and open source software. No single type of
| entity (neither business nor community) has the sole responsibility to
| deliver success, he said.
|
| In fact, he said, we might be talking about success in the wrong terms
| anyway, as if it were a state that could be achieved once and would persist
| forever. Instead, success is an ongoing process, characterized by recognizing
| opportunities and meeting them. Bacon concluded by talking about the
| relationship between Canonical and Ubuntu -- a business and a community
| working together to produce and maintain a Linux distribution -- and detailed
| some of the governance structures and processes the two entities use to keep
| their actions and interactions productive toward that shared goal.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/126849

That 'other *NIX' has a new important release as well:

Nexenta Core Platform 1.0 available

,----[ Quote ]
| The Nexenta team is pleased to announce Nexenta Core Platform 1.0
| release - the 1.0 release. It can be dowloaded at http://www.nexenta.org
`----

http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=51674&tstart=0

Yesterday:

Survey finds Ubuntu is the fastest-growing Linux distribution

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9868873-16.html