Re: [Roy Schestowitz Lies Again] Microsoft's Scott Guthrie Lies About/Twists "Cross-platform" to Hijack Web

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Troy Kirkland
<kirk@xxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 28 Feb 2008 15:09:36 -0500
<47c70970$0$26099$88260bb3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> ____/ Tom Shelton on Wednesday 27 February 2008 23:57 : \____
>
>>> But, Moonlight will be - and MS is helping Novell with the
>>> implementation.  Then it will run on any platform mono runs on -
>>> including Linux...
>>
>> Moonlight is not Silverlight (and will never be). No need for spin here.
>> Not to
>> mention the horrid Monopendency...
>

> That's because you're too stupid to know
> anything about either one. To a cave man
> a chunk of ice was very different from water.

Still is; one can't drink ice.  Also, AFAIK most
water-based chemistry does not function in ice, unless it
melts during the reaction -- a possibility.

(The phase diagram of water is actually rather interesting
but is well beyond the discussion charter of this
newsgroup.)

> Like you, they were stupid and didn't know.
>
> Too bad that you and your fellow shills are too stupid to use Google to
> learn what Moonlight and Silverlight really are. You say they are *not* the
> same. You ought to tell the OSS developers because they seem to think they
> are the same.

Silverlight is a duly-licensed project from Microsoft.
Moonlight is not.  (Moonlight *might* be licensed
indirectly, through Novell.)

> http://www.mono-project.com/Moonlight
>
> <quote>
> *Moonlight*
> A page to track the various projects that make up the Mono-based
> implementation of Silverlight.
>
> The goals are:
>
> To run Silverlight applications on Linux.

Someone is going to have to define "application" properly
in this context.  The entire system
(local + server [+ proxy]) is probably an application here.

Presumably, the Linux side can run a local Silverlight client,
using Moonlight API/support.  (The issues appear similar to
Java and Kaffe.)

> To provide a Linux SDK to build Silverlight applications.

Can't build Silverlight apps on Linux boxes without a valid Microsoft
license, I suspect.  Moonlight and Silverlight-runnable, maybe.

> To reuse the Silverlight engine we have built for desktop applications.

Moonlight engine.

> </quote>

You're right...they're very confused.  Me, I'm merely
ignorant; I'd have to study the issue. ;-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  It'll Fix Everything(tm).