Re: ODF and binary data--why do you ignore it, Roy?

> ____/ Jesper Lund Stocholm on Tuesday 26 February 2008 09:47 : \____
>
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>>
>>> ____/ Jesper Lund Stocholm on Monday 25 February 2008 22:01 : \____

>>> This binary part supports the storage of arbitrary user-defined data.
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>

>> But Roy, all document formats permit inclusion of arbitrary binary
>> chunks. You are correct that it poses a problem with interoperability,
>> but that's sadly the reality of the world we live in. Would you prefer
>> that OOXML should be the only document format without this ability?
>>
>>> OOXML Contains Proprietary Microsoft Codecs (as 'Standard')
>>>
>>> http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-41316/good-bye-interoperability-2-with-p
>>> roprietary-audio-and-video-formats
>>
>> Some of the problems stated on the page are nonsense. Which ones are you
>> referring to?
>>
>>> DIS-29500: Deprecated before use?
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>
>> They misunderstand the term "deprecated". Deprecated items are still
>> normative and still part of the specifation. So the goals can still be
>> met.
>>
>>> http://fsfeurope.org/documents/msooxml-idiosyncrasies
>>>
>>> I can find you comments from the DIS-29500 Web sites which clearly
>>> indicate that there are deprecated Windows-only printing functions
>>> right there inside OOXML.  There are many similar examples, but given
>>> the flood here of Microsoft agents I don't think it's the right place
>>> to discuss this.
>>
>> Please provide them. It is true that OOXML allows storing printer
>> specific data in the file. These are naturally platform specific, but
>> they are not Windows-only.
>
> Hi Jesper,
>
> Your stubborn prejudice here makes a discussion here a lost cause. Sorry,
> but
> this seems like a waste of time for both of us. You already made up your
> mind.
> Good luck in Geneva. I hear (read rather) that Microsoft employees are
> flying
> in, so you'll probably have more enjoyable people to talk to than me. You
> know, like-minded people.
>
> For all I know and learned, the purpose of standard is not just to spur
> competition (a negligible factor) but to ensure programs interact with one
> another. The question you need to ask yourself is whether you can turn
> documents into something open like the WWW. It wasn't the case before
> (Microsoft was prosecuted for technical sabotage, AFAIK) and it still
> isn't
> the case, esp. with OOXML which has SharePoint tags and other hooks that
> are
> bound to make lockin much worse and more extensive.

When confronted with facts and reason, Roy Schestowitz resorts to name
calling and then runs away like the immature little child that he is.

This is Marti's and Doug's "hero" that they worship and follow. With
"advocates" like Roy representing linux, it's no wonder it hasn't progressed
beyond 0.6% of the desktops. Is it any wonder why normal people shun away
from zealot idiots like Roy Schestowitz and even the Linux community in
large is starting to distance themselves from the Schestowitz kook.