Re: FYI: Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files......

"Peter Köhlmann" <peter.koehlmann@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Antonio Murphie wrote:
>

>> "Linonut" <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>>* Antonio Murphie fired off this tart reply:

>>> Nope.  First, X has been around in one form or another for 23 years.
>>> SSH has been around for 12 years.
>>
>> Thanks for the history lesson but what does it matter? The issue isn't
>> which protocol has been around the longest... it's functionality.
>

> In the functionality department, "Remote Desktop" does not even come
> close
> to the linux offerings. It is a poor excuse for MS inability to come up
> with something functional
So do tell me exactly what functionality you can do with your linux
offerings that remote-desktop doesn't do.

Remote desktop has a secure connection.
It can connect disk drives.
It can connect printers.
It can connect serial ports.

Port forwarding is nice but other than being able to forward a port, how
does it help administer a remote computer?

> Linux /can/ administer a remote windows computer via remote desktop, BTW
> It is just another remote protocol for linux machines
No shit. It can do the GUI part of the remote desktop but I have yet to see
a implementation that lets you mount remote drives and printers.

>> In the
>> end the user has a graphical connection to the remote computer. Whether
>> ssh has been around 12 years and RDP only 8 years isn't relevant. The
>> issue is administering a remote computer.
>
> Stop moving the goalposts.

Perhaps you should read "up" this thread to my original response and learn
where the goalposts are. Schestowitz posted that the remote user can
connect via SSH and start gnome-panel and do the "GUI stuff" to remotely
install software. He said that it's essentially like being there.

So here's a hint for you clueless... we ARE talking about administering a
remote computer to install software.