Re: FYI: Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files......

____/ jim on Tuesday 01 January 2008 05:40 : \____

>> ____/ Richard Rasker on Tuesday 01 January 2008 01:49 : \____
>>
>>> I'm with you so far. I'm one of those technicians.
>>
>> You ought to end this. I know some people who made it a rule that they
>> will
>> only assist in case of trouble with Free software. If Microsoft software
>> fails, then Microsoft should be liable or at least chip in to help.
>> Microsoft
>> has grown a workforce of volunteers who grow up in Windows-oriented
>> schools
>> and then become unpaid support staff. By helping those whom you love,
>> you're
>> not ending this cycle. You can help friends and family better by urging
>> them
>> to take trouble-free software that you trivially can administer remotely,
>> as
>> well.
>
> Maybe you can help me with that - remote administration of Linux desktops.
>
> I admit my ignorance of Linux applications freely.  Is there an application
> like LogMeIn or GoToMyPC that works as well for Linux (fast and responsive)
> as they do for Windows?

I was thinking along the lines of SSH (OpenSSH). Hypothetical case:

Your nephew has an issue because he doesn't know how to install Opera. You log
right in, run kcontrol/gnome-panel (or kicker, then doing all the GUI stuff).
You're essentially (virtually) right there on the PC, assuming you have the
root password. It's very simple and it's totally free. If you upgrade the
kernel -- for whatever reason -- you can even reboot remotely and then carry
on remotely.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Get the most out of your hardware. Get Linux.