[News] Russian Schools Are Already Moving to GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Russian Schools Are Already Moving to GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 07:59:44 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
First school open source software packages handed over to teachers

,----[ Quote ]
| First distributives developed on the basis of Linux OS within the program to
| equip Russian schools with the open source software have been handed over to
| the informatics teachers in the Perm Region. The developers are sure their
| product will not only protect teachers from copyright advocates but might
| result in the technical literacy of pupils to improve.
`----

http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2008/01/15/283177

Make no mistake. *Intel* and Microsoft have already joined forces and they plan
to corrupt politicians in order to stop this. That was in the news a while
back.

Let Intel suffer with the thought that people can *USE* older PCs rather than
burning the environment.

Intel shares slump after disappointing report

,----[ Quote ]
| Shares of Intel Corp. plunged more than 12% early Wednesday after the
| blue-chip tech giant issued a disappointing outlook and reported
| fourth-quarter results that came up shy of expectations.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/intel-shares-slump-disappointing-results/story.aspx?guid=%7B34A15236%2D39E7%2D4E97%2D8584%2DEBC6D7DDE340%7D&siteid=yhoof
http://tinyurl.com/39wpwe

Related:

ALT Linux 4.0 - An alternative to Ferora/Mandriva/Suse

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm very pleased with the overall stability of ALT linux. As there are no
| major issues either with the installation or afterwards, I would recommend
| this distribution as an alternative to the rpm based distributions such as
| Mandriva,Fedora or SUSE.
`----

http://planetoss.com/detail.php?id=4

Russian Linux (ALTLinux) to be installed in every school in Russia

,----[ Quote ]
| Russian OS is to be installed on every school computer in Russia by 2009.
| Furthermore, every pupil will get the opportunity to operate the applied
| software produced in Russia, Leonid Reiman, acting Minister of Communication
| stated at a press conference. According to Mr. Reiman, that might
| significantly reduce Russian dependence on foreign software.
`----

http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2007%2F09%2F14%2F266177

ALT Linux 4.0 "Personal Desktop"

,----[ Quote ]
| The ALT Linux development team has announced the release of ALT Linux 4.0
| Personal Desktop edition, a Russian desktop Linux distribution. ALT Linux 4.0
| Personal Desktop is designed for home and office use, providing the user with
| a convenient environment for undertaking common computing tasks.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20070903#released

2010: Russia's open software market to grow 4-fold

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2007/05/15/249978