Re: [News] Nokia Buys Trolltech (and Embraces GPLv3 via Qt)

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron
<hadronquark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:41:44 +0100
<fnprad$l21$7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb
>> <brick.n.straw@xxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Mon, 28 Jan 2008 13:25:19 -0500
>> <153as3krm6mz5.4g6zqvenfkfq.dlg@xxxxxxxxxx>:

>>> Probably one of the people who are funding you, Roy Schestowitz.
>>>
>>> It's interesting watching the bickering, paranoia and conspiracy that is
>>> going on in the Linux community.
>>
>> Indeed.  Of course we'd presumably all be better off anyway
>> if Microsoft had a monopolistic desktop front.
>>
>> Oh, wait, we do.  OK, so are we better off?
>>
>> Be specific.
>
> And you Ghost. What are you talking about? What
> Monopolistic desktop front?

And how many desktops does Linux inhabit, again?

Beyond it obviously not being 100.0000% (since I
have several machines that normally run Linux and
two that exclusively do so), I can't say; a number
bandied about here is on the order of 0.4%-0.6%
though more accurate readings might be possible;
http://www.kryogenix.org/days/2005/08/04/market
suggests 2.8% as of August 2005, for example.
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070903-linux-marketshare-set-to-surpass-windows-98.html
suggests 1.34% for Linux or 0.77%, depending
on whom one believes.

Contrariwise, Vista has already surpassed 10%.
But the numbers are a little squirrely here,
too -- mostly because the ascension rate is
so fast, and Google finds stories that are
years old if one's not careful.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Q: "Why is my computer doing that?"
A: "Don't do that and you'll be fine."