Re: [News] Nokia Buys Trolltech (and Embraces GPLv3 via Qt)

____/ Mark Kent on Monday 28 January 2008 14:08 : \____

mobicents => red hat
jboss => red hat
cups => apple
mysql => sun
trolltech => nokia
suse => novell (went very badly wrong)
caldera <= sco (became reverse takeover, major failure)

... it's not over yet, I'm sure.
I’ve just heard from someone who funds KDE. It seems to confirm some
fears, but  KDE can fork.

As the above list indicates, most big Free Software projects are owned
or funded by companies, so nothing has changed. Qt was owned by one
company, and now it's owned by another. The license ensures that it will
remain Free, even if the company "forks" their own commercial version,
or even abandons it.

The fact that software is owned or funded, is less important than *who*
owns or funds it. In this case, Nokia seems to be quite suitable. It's
only when certain less honourable interests try to "extinguish" products
with takeovers, that one needs be concerned, and even then the GPL will
still protect the current version of that software (and future forks).

IOW this is interesting news WRT Qt development funding, but other than
that ... nothing to see here, move along.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "[Microsoft] are willing to lose money for years and years just to
|  make sure that you don't make any money, either." - Bob Cringely.
|  - http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html

 19:10:27 up 38 days, 16:46,  4 users,  load average: 0.34, 0.18, 0.17