Re: CNET Does Very Weird Advocacy, GNU/Linux Rebuts

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, cc
<scatnubbs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:03:23 -0700 (PDT)
<5810b557-fac4-4b35-874f-a7cf164f2c52@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Jul 10, 4:48 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> A Better Introduction to Linux User Interface
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Today I came across a nice article by cnet on Linux user interface. The
>> | article obviously was geared towards new users who might be interested in
>> | Linux. This is a welcome change where everyday more reputable blogs and
>> | technology websites are opening up to Linux and introducing it to their
>> | reader base, who otherwise probably would have never have known about linux
>> | or dared to try it out. For new users switching to Linux or even test-driving
>> | it has never been easier. But do we really think if we want to encourage new
>> | users towards linux, we can achieve it by showing an image of a Solitaire
>> | game and (oh my gosh!) a calculator?
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | If you thought Aero effects in Vista was nice and OSX has beautiful graphic
>> | effects (which they do), than Compiz Fusion effects on Linux Desktop
>> | environment will blow your mind. Linux has a place for the nerdy programmer
>> | and casual users.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxhaxor.net/2008/07/09/a-better-introduction-to-linux-u...
>>
>> It's almost as though CNET wanted to do anti-advocacy.
>> Watch his smug words. He is a Mac user.
>>
>> There's that 1% market share Big Lies out there at the moment.
>> The source stats (method and data) are bogus. If the Big Lie
>> is repeated often enough, hardware vendor might actually firmly
>> believe it. But anyway. that's not of much relevance to this
>> CNET rubbish.
>
> Oh please. If the 1% market share is a Big Lie, then someone should
> come up with the Big Truth.

The Big Truth: the market is ignorant and apathetic.
Do they know or care what's underneath the hood of that
shiny gray, pink, red, black, or yellow box?

Should they?

Windows is standard.  A de facto standard to be sure,
but it is a standard, at least to the point where some
of it's documented somewhere in Microsoft's library
(msdn.microsoft.com).

For its part Microsoft Windows is also in a number of
laptops and phones.  Phones, however, are an emerging
market for Microsoft Windows; the Samsung Instinct
looks like it should garner a fair bit of market share,
mostly because it looks sexy and appears cheaper and more
flexible than the iPhone.  It can also do video, albeit not
that well.  Interestingly, it uses a Java overlayer, which
can be customized; it is not clear how compatible this
overlayer is with Google Android's.  I suspect it's J2ME.

> The fact is, you all say it's a lie, and that's it.

The 1% market share is probably an overestimate, unfortunately.

> No evidence of any kind, unless I missed the part where you
> back up your claim that the method and data are bogus. Everyone knows
> it's about as accurate as you can get, which is fairly accurate.
>
> And of course, it's only you and a few other nutjobs around here that
> focus on the 1%. You didn't bother to read any of the articles about
> the market share did you? The focus in all of the articles I saw was
> POSITIVE! 12% growth for Linux in the last month.

+12% of 0.6% = 0.006 * 1.12 = 0.00672 = 0.672%.

Someone's fudging the pie slices.

> 1% of alot is still alot too, mind you.

Is it?  1% is 1%.  If there are ~250 million desktop PCs out there
(as of 2007), 1% = ~2.5 million desktop PCs.

http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/6/lenovo-jumps-into-consumer-desktop-pc-market

It's all relative.

An interesting perspective relates to trust as well; if I
were to have a few spare components (mostly junk pulled
from previous versions, but it's all standard stuff),
would anyone buy from me?  Probably not.

http://technocrat.net/d/2007/11/4/29876

I should note that there are reasonably good reasons for going
with new hardware; I'm not all that careful about ESD, for example.
That can be worked around to some extent, though.

> Luckily for the rest of us, hardware vendors
> aren't as dumb as you. They're going to read the articles with the 1%
> figure and realize that Linux is growing, and that 1% is a lot of
> business still.

It's about 1% of business.  How much *cost*, I don't know, but
Dell in particular apparently has to set up entirely different
assembly lines for its Ubuntu machines.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
fortune: not found