Re: [News] London's Oyster Card Relies on GNU/Linux

Homer <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
>
>> I rather like my Oyster card.  It's certainly made buses a viable
>> possibility
>
> It's often quicker to walk in the centre of London though.

I used to cycle everywhere, but I live too far out for that now.  I'm
considering buying one of those Brompton collapsible bikes and taking it
in by train.  I generally walk, but over about 2 miles, the bus can be
faster.  Of course, in the summer, when the touristas are all out in
Hyde, Regents & Green parks, then a detour can be pleasant :-)

When I was younger, I used to cycle the 12.5mi in and out each day, it
was faster cycling than by train, car or bus.  Of course, I was also a
bit fitter, too.

> I remember it once took a bus I was on 45 minutes to travel the length
> of Sloan Square. The only reason I didn't get off and walk, is because
> it was raining. I would have used the Tube, but there was construction
> work going on at the time, and it was chaos.

At 45 mins, I think I'd've got wet...  there aren't many of the old
routemaster busses left now, so getting on and off where you want has
become more difficult.

> I did eventually end up walking most of the way to my destination (the
> Novotel Exhibition Centre in Hammersmith), and I'm glad I did, because
> I discovered one of the best Italian restaurants in London, quite near
> the Novotel, on Kensington High Street.

hehe - it's an ill wind that blows no good.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |