Re: [News] [OT] UK Government Pulls a Newham-Microsoft

Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:

> Nobody who understands anything about ID systems regards this as
> anything but an insane waste of money coupled with a total intrusion
> into personal privacy.
>
> Once the database is hacked, it'll provide a wealth of information
> for the actual criminals.  You know, the ones with the faked ID.

The criminals don't even need to hack it ... our incompetent government
practically just /gives/ our private data away:

5,000 NHS records vanish with latest lost laptop

[quote]
HMRC twice lost 25 million records relating to child benefits, the DVLA
lost 6,000 records for vehicle owners, and the MoD misplaced a laptop
containing details of 600,000 applicants to the armed services.
[/quote]

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/15/more_nhs_data_losses/

And just a few days later:

Government 'lost' DNA data on 2,000 criminal suspects

[quote]
The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) is the latest government institution
facing humiliation over its inability to properly deal with sensitive data.

The CPS was sent files on 2,000 serious criminal suspects, including DNA
profiles, by Dutch police over a year ago. Dutch authorities were hoping
the CPS would check the files and potentially catch some wanted criminals.

But the disc was misplaced by the CPS and only found last week. When the
CPS ran checks against its database it found 15 suspects were in the
country and 11 had committed crimes - including serious assaults, sexual
assaults and burglaries - in England and Wales in the last year.
[/quote]

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/20/government_data_loss/

ID Card data is just one more source of sensitive private info for the
government to "misplace". The British taxpayer funds this nonsense.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
|     ~ Cory Doctorow, The Guardian.  http://tinyurl.com/22bgx8

 11:15:43 up 168 days,  7:51,  5 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.06