Re: [News] Flash for GNU/Linux Becomes Hardware-accelerated

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Mark Kent
<mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Sat, 14 Jun 2008 22:16:10 +0100
<q1pdi5-nl4.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> Flash Uses The GPU
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| A much clamored-for feature (right after native 64-bit,
>>| wmode/transparency, and V4L2) is Flash GPU (graphical
>>| processing unit) acceleration, sometimes founded in a
>>| belief that it's a magic solution for making things
>>| fast without any side effects or ill consequences. I
>>| just wanted to make it known that the Adobe Flash Player
>>| is GPU accelerated,
>> `----
>>
>> http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2008/05/flash_uses_the_gpu.html
>>
>> First OpenGL in virtual machines and X forwarding... now Flash. Good for
>> gaming, but it's still a proprietary layer.
>>

> It won't be forever.

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/

has a fair number of problems with Flash games, but hopefully
it will become more polished as time goes on.

I think it's kind of a neat idea, actually. ;-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Woman?  What woman?"