[News] [Rival] Why It's Time for US Congress People to Dump Microsoft Windows

Wolf Reveals House Computers Compromised by Outside Source

,----[ Quote ]
| That kind of information, as well as everything else on my office
| computers -- e-mails, memos, correspondence and district casework - was open
| for outside eyes to see.
|
| [...]
|
| These cyber attacks permitted the source to probe our computers to evaluate
| our system's defenses, and to view and copy information.  My suspicion is
| that I was targeted by Chinese sources because of my long history of speaking
| out about China's abysmal human rights record.
`----

http://wolf.house.gov/index.cfm?sectionid=34&parentid=6&sectiontree=6,34&itemid=1174

4 out of 10 Windows PCs is a zombie[1] and there is no solution in
sight[2,3,4,5,6]. Also new:

US Hacker Gets 41 Months for Running Rogue Botnet

,----[ Quote ]
| A U.S. hacker who hooked up a botnet within Newell Rubbermaid's corporate
| network was sentenced to 41 months in prison on Wednesday, according to the
| U.S. Department of Justice.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/147013/us_hacker_gets_41_months_for_running_rogue_botnet.html
http://tinyurl.com/4excwm

____
[1]
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/computersecurity/2008-03-16-computer-botnets_N.htm

[2] Bumper bundle of Windows updates includes Vista patches

,----[ Quote ]
| June's Patch Tuesday has brought a substantial crop of updates for Windows,
| including three critical patches for Vista =and other versions, calling into
| question Microsoft's "secure by design" claim for its latest operating
| system.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18698/1054/

[3] Nevis Labs Identifies Vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows Live OneCare

,----[ Quote ]
| Nevis Networks, a market leader in secure switching and identity-based policy
| enforcement appliances, today announced that Nevis Labs has identified
| vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows Live OneCare.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080514006196&newsLang=en

[4] Vista Called as Vulnerable as Predecessors

,----[ Quote ]
| It looks as if Vista's reputation for improved security could be heading for
| the pages of history. PC Tools has renewed last week's attack on the platform
| with new figures that appear to back up its claim that Vista is almost as
| vulnerable as its predecessors.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146281/vista_called_as_vulnerable_as_predecessors.html

[5] Vista security credentials tarnished in malware survey

,----[ Quote ]
| "[Vista]has been hailed by Microsoft as the most secure version of Windows to
| date. However, recent research conducted with statistics from over 1.4
| million computers within the ThreatFire community has shown that Windows
| Vista is more susceptible to malware than the eight year old Windows 2000
| operating system, and only 37 per cent more secure than Windows XP," said
| Simon Clausen, chief exec at PC Tools.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/09/win_malware_survey/

[6] Vista as Insecure as Windows 2000