Re: [News] Gentoo 2008.0 Reaches Beta 2, Screenshots Available

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Gregory Shearman
<ZekeGregory@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on 6 May 2008 21:48:17 GMT
<slrng21kh0.8mb.ZekeGregory@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 2008-05-06, The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Gregory Shearman
>><ZekeGregory@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on 6 May 2008 14:26:46 GMT
>><slrng20ql6.8sd.ZekeGregory@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>>> Yeah, well, I've never been a trendsetter and Gentoo is no longer
>>> trendy. We're now a rather rare bunch on desktops.
>>>

>> Maybe not, but by and large it just works -- though when
>> it does throw a curve ball, it's swing and a miss; my one
>> box at work is now quite dysfunctional for some reason.
>> Thankfully, I should be able to extract the data off it,
>> and it wasn't that big a box -- maybe a 40 GB drive on
>> it, 256 MB RAM.  It would be a dual-boot but Windows
>> inexplicably fried itself somewhere, disallowing IT's
>> attempts to update its virus file.  I put Windows out of
>> my misery, on that box.
>
> I've not had any disasters yet (touch wood!). I love the absolute ease
> of package management. It's all done for me. It is all _maintained_ for
> me.

Well, this isn't a disaster, more of an annoyance. ;-)

>> Something to do with an upgrade I was pursuing.  Not sure
>> exactly what happened but it lost its dependencies, and
>> aborts its startup script.  The system still boots but
>> half of its "brain" is missing -- including the network.
>> Fortunately, I resurrected the network, and am copying off
>> the data.
>
> There you go, managing Gentoo leaves you with the confidence to rebuild
> broken setups at least to the point where you can salvage your precious
> data.

Didn't have to rebuild (fortunately!), but I can't get NFS to work, so
have to use tar | ssh.  No biggie, but I'll admit to wondering
what blew on this old machine (its kernel version is 2.6.13).

>> In any event, I was easily able to download the stage3,
>> and used it to build a 1 GB virtual disc for experimental
>> purposes with UML.  Who needs trendy?
>
> I've never been trendy in my life. UML is definitely not trendy, I'm not
> sure it's even being maintained. The last kernel release was 2.6.18-r2.

Well, somebody's tweaked it; it's working again as of 2.6.24.
I'm happy... :-)

> I also run a UML virtual machine. It runs an Apache webserver with the
> perl module installed. It was easy getting it onto the network and dead
> easy to punch a hole through my firewall for external access to this web
> server.

Yeah, and almost as simple to run multiple machines (if
one can stand the slowdown) on either the main network
(assuming it has DHCP capability), or using something such
as vde_switch.

> What fun these gentoo things are... I especially love the recursive UML
> Tux logo 8-)

An eye *in* an eye, as it were.... ;-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
If your CPU can't stand the heat, get another fan.