Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

____/ William Poaster on Thursday 22 May 2008 13:10 : \____

> On Thu, 22 May 2008 09:32:08 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> ____/ Andrew Halliwell on Thursday 22 May 2008 08:44 : \____

>>> Hah, though it's likely what with all the new machines sold, how do you
>>> know how many are still running it?
>>>
>>> Hell, even my machine counts towards the vista stats. And the first
>>> thing I did when I got it home was nuke and install ubuntu. How many
>>> more did that... or the more common nuke and install XP? How many
>>> machines registered as vista sales still run it?
>>
>> How many registered people with Vista machines are still running? ;-)
>
> <quote>
> ..Vista passed Linux in desktop market share within a
> couple of months of it's release.
> <unquote>
>
> This is probably bogus anyway, as M$ shipped their products to the retail
> stores & counted as *sold*. OEMs did the same thing. Then the retail store
> is lumbered with the stuff when it *doean't* sell. An example is the DSG
> group who lost £20million ($39,668,710.51) & blamed it squarely on M$'s
> Vista.
> Mark Webb, a spokesman for the group, is quoted as saying that: "Vista
> just didn't capture the imagination as much as previous versions of
> Windows. We've not seen the huge rush that we would have hoped for."
> He also said *very* that few people were buying boxed copies of Vista,
> feeling it was hardly worth upgrading from XP. The weedy OS overhaul also
> hit sales of new PCs, the company complained.
>
> It could be some time before *that* retailer is stung by M$ again.

An important point worth making is that Munchkins argue not all Linux downloads
become installations. That's correct. Sometimes, when deployed in a classroom,
for example, one download makes *many* installations. On the other hand, when
people are *forced* to *buy* an O/S (e.g. Vista) it often gets removed.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | How I learned to stop worrying and love GNU/Linux
 03:00:01 up 38 days,  1:12,  4 users,  load average: 0.80, 1.52, 1.77