Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

On Fri, 23 May 2008 03:05:02 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ____/ William Poaster on Thursday 22 May 2008 13:10 : \____
>
>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 09:32:08 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> ____/ Andrew Halliwell on Thursday 22 May 2008 08:44 : \____

>>> How many registered people with Vista machines are still running? ;-)
>>
>> <quote>
>> ..Vista passed Linux in desktop market share within a couple of months
>> of it's release.
>> <unquote>
>>
>> This is probably bogus anyway, as M$ shipped their products to the
>> retail stores & counted as *sold*. OEMs did the same thing. Then the
>> retail store is lumbered with the stuff when it *doean't* sell. An
>> example is the DSG group who lost £20million ($39,668,710.51) & blamed
>> it squarely on M$'s Vista.
>> Mark Webb, a spokesman for the group, is quoted as saying that: "Vista
>> just didn't capture the imagination as much as previous versions of
>> Windows. We've not seen the huge rush that we would have hoped for." He
>> also said *very* that few people were buying boxed copies of Vista,
>> feeling it was hardly worth upgrading from XP. The weedy OS overhaul
>> also hit sales of new PCs, the company complained.
>>
>> It could be some time before *that* retailer is stung by M$ again.
>
> An important point worth making is that Munchkins argue not all Linux
> downloads become installations. That's correct.

The local LUG downloads Live-CDs to give away, so maybe not all do get
installed. However it's interesting to note, that after trying a distro,
A *lot* of people either ask us to install it for them, or they do it
themselves. The interest in Linux & the number of people trying out
Live-CDs has escalated recently, as quite a few state they just do NOT
want Vista & are looking for alternative OSs.

> Sometimes, when deployed in a classroom, for example, one download makes
> *many* installations.

A similar thing happens with out local LUG.

> On the other hand, when people are *forced* to *buy* an O/S (e.g. Vista)
> it often gets removed.

That happens too!

--
Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.