[News] Linux Advantages and That Age/Gender Stereotype

[This one might be a bit sexist, but FWIW:]

Chicks Love Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Linda ended up buying an ASUS mini running Linux out of the box and loved it.
|
| “Not only is it ultra portable, but with Linux installed I ended my days
| dealing with idiotic messages, XP warnings, and security settings galore,”
| says Linda. Proof that Linux is going to benefit anyone trying to get away
| from the Windows related issues.
`----

http://reallylinux.com/docs/chickslovelinux.shtml

Linux Installation Guide: So easy, even your grandmother could do it!

,----[ Quote ]
| To download the multimedia codecs installer I mentioned in the guide, right
| click this link and click “Save Link As,” and make sure to save it to the
| desktop. If anyone is worried about copyright stuff, lets just say its
| licensed under the GPL.
`----

http://crashsystems.net/2008/05/wubi-guide/

Yesterday:

Grandmom’s Guide to the Asus Eee PC

,----[ Quote ]
| Addendum: When my granddaughter saw that ASUS was now selling in the
| Philippines she wants one…
`----

http://www.bloggernews.net/115820

Babies, grandmas and Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The bonus was the tech-savvy grandson was no longer dealing with Windows
| support issues. Instead, Grandma now lets him know about any issues (like the
| time the bootup selection somehow served up the text mode :0), and he can
| more efficiently handle them with his own Linux know-how and machine.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/05/19/babies-grandmas-and-linux/

To Market, To Market

,----[ Quote ]
| On the other end of the spectrum, there's the call for the
| ubiquitous "Desktop"--the be-all, end-all interface that everyone, including
| our grandmothers, can use instead of the hated Windows products.
`----

http://blog.linuxtoday.com/blog/2008/05/to-market-to-ma.html

Related:

Linux for your grandmother?

,----[ Quote ]
| I’m going with Kubuntu (my favorite desktop) although Opensuse is really nice
| for newbies to understand. Also, if you are going to try this project please
| use the OpenDNS servers for DNS so kids don’t end up on the wrong sites.
`----

http://blog.banksnetworking.com/2007/08/31/linux-for-your-grandmother/

Making My Grandparents Leet Linux Users - Part 2

,----[ Quote ]
| Thunderbird, along with Firefox, are overkill for most Grandparents. Simpler
| applications would be easier to use. Epiphany is a good Firefox replacement,
| but I am not familiar with any other lighter-weight email clients.
`----

http://tomdryer.com/blog/index.php/2007/08/19/making-my-grandparents-leet-linux-users-part-2/

Cutting the Velvet Chain

,----[ Quote ]
| *Ed does what the "safe mode" help screen tells him to do. He finds and calls
| the number.
|
| *Ed stays on hold for 73 minutes using a toll number because he was told the
| hold time on the 800 number would be 30.
|
| *Ed reaches a tech support agent for his system and is asked a string of
| questions no casual computer user can answer.
|
| *After 49 minutes on the phone with the tech support agent, he is told that
| his system is broken and he must reinstall.
|
| *Ed dutifully holds while he is transferred and then reaches someone who
| convinces him that Vista is indeed his solution.
|
| *Ed dutifully goes to CompUSA to purchase Microsoft Vista.
|
| *Ed finds a sales person and inquires about Vista.
`----

http://blog.lobby4linux.com/index.php?/archives/262-Cutting-the-Velvet-Chain.html

Making My Grandparents Leet Linux Users - Part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| It was time for a new computer for my Grandparents. Their ancient Windows 98
| PC had become so slow that it was unusable. The replacement, an inexpensive
| Acer PC, came with Windows Vista preinstalled. It was up to me to set up the
| new computer and support it. So I decided to wipe out Vista with a Debian 4
| base install and set up an easy to use environment for my Grandparents. In
| this multi-part series I will tell you about how I did it, starting with my
| reasons for choosing Linux over Vista.
`----

http://tomdryer.com/blog/index.php/2007/08/17/making-my-grandparents-leet-linux-users-part-1/

Grandpa Gets a Dell with Ubuntu Linux Preinstalled

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm very happy with my computer. I feel the price was reasonable, and the
| service was good. In fact, Dell appears to have gone to the "Scotty school of
| engineering" -- project how long you expect a project to take, then double
| the time. Then, when you come in under that time, you look like a whiz.

Ubuntu for your grandmother.

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.knightwise.com/content/view/154/9/