Re: Terry is back

Terry Porter <linux-2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Hi All,
>
> After several years away from COLA, I thought I'd pop in, say hi, and see
> if the Wintrolls are still as active as they used to be, considering the
> beating they are taking these days, in every area.
>
> Hi to all the new Linux advocates and the old ones as well, g'day Mark K!

I raise my hat Sir!  Welcome back!  I very much hope you'll be able to
post here from time to time again - your style is refreshing, open and
clearly based around personal experience and knowledge.

> Contrary to the usual silly "I've gone back to Windows" fake posts in my
> name, Linux is still my *only* OS, and I use it for everything as always.

Snap!

> I've been very fortunate and have no need to use anything other than
> Linux in my daily work since 1997, which many Linux advocates cannot say
> (unfortunately) due to the Microsoft Monopoly.

Fortunately, the evolution, firefox, pidgin, oo.org plus pdf and image
viewers, as well as totem & mplayer provide a perfect and highly
functional replacement for work windows.  I've been using this
combination full-time for my "work" pc for about 12 months now - it's
excellent.

> I've been flat out the last 5 years with my own WiFi business, doing
> technical support, network designs and supplying Access Points, so I
> won't be posting here often, certainly not like I once used to, with up
> to 300 replies a day.

Ah, they were great times :-)

> I can almost hear Kelsey B breath a sigh of relief. Never fear Kelsey,
> I'm older and a bit wiser now ;-)
>
> Work:
> I've personally supplied around 3500 Access points over the last 5 years
> all powered by Linux of course, as Linux in the embedded space is the
> sensible option.

But Terry, all the trolls say that you can't run a business on Linux, so
this must be untrue :-))

> Even my TV, a 32" LG Hidef TV runs Linux.
>
> My three commercial set top boxes run Linux.
>
> My partner Janice, runs Linux Debian 4.0 on her workstation, and her Acer
> Aspire one runs Linpus (default).
>
> Our server a hp-netserver runs Slackware, and this workstation which is a
> Intel quad core runs Gnu/Gentoo/Icewm. It has 27 virtual desktops, all of
> which are packed with applications.
>
> I have two Asus Eeepc900's one I use for Wifi work and runs Debian Lenny,
> the other is a spare, still unpacked in its box.

I've got 2 Debian-based gaming & general purpose machines, 2 Nokia 770
linux web tablets, one Nokia 800 linux web tablet, 2 Linksys wrt54gl
wireless routers running "white russian" (linux), a Bubba Excito linux
server, a Mythtv box (Ubuntu+Myth), a general file server, nis server,
usenet and more which is Debian, my Asus/ubuntu work desktop (dual
monitor, dual-core AMD), plus Mrs Mark has an archos 504 media player
(linux), and a TomTom G700 (also linux), I have a Go900 (linux), a
Motorola A780 phone (linux), no1 son has a dualPPC mac running Kubuntu and
a Mac mini (xubuntu), and a GamePark GP2X (linux gaming machine), no2 son
has a PS3 (ubuntu), a GP2X (as above), and an HP laptop running Xubuntu.

And... it all works terribly reliably.

> In 1997 it was clear that Linux was an unstoppable force, and it's
> interesting to see how Linux has grown exponentially since that time,
> which is amazing considering the size and power of the Convicted
> Monopolist which attempts every day to cut off the supply of Linux
> devices by any and all means possible, both legal and illegal.
>
> Now for some uptimes :-
> This workstation: gronk1 mnt # uptime
>  23:55:13 up 56 days,  7:02, 31 users,  load average: 2.12, 2.09, 2.09
> Server: root@wifi:/var/www/htdocs/public# uptime
>  22:53:12 up 44 days,  5:43,  6 users,  load average: 0.19, 0.15, 0.13

I used to have a UPS on my main server box, but the UPS broke down
before the server did...

> What Linux apps do I use ?
>
> So many, I'll just name a few :-
> Network designs are done using Kicad or gEDA.
> PCB designs are done using PCB
> Browsing: Firefox3
> User manuals: LaTeX ( I'll never use anything else)
> Spreadsheets: Open Office
> VM: Qemu/KVM
> Cad Drawing: Qcad
> Programing Editor: Gvim
> HTML: Bluefish
> Firewall rulesets: FwBuilder
> Db: Postgress with Pgadmin3
> Labels: Glabels
> Accounts: Sql-Ledger, but moving to WebERP
>
> What non Linux apps or os do I use ?
> Answer: zero (0)
> Why ?: If you have to ask, then you have never *really* used Linux.

Good point!  I'll have to look at FwBuilder - I use the policy routing
in linux to mix two adsl lines (I have two ISPs), so it'll be interesting
to see if there's some help out there to simplify setting it up.

Oh, just to clarify, Homer does the stats, although I held the script
briefly, and did contribute some input way back when Roy Culley was
running it.  I do the Digest, though, so if you'd care to post a [News]
item (or anyone else care to, for that matter), then, so long as you
keep to the standard syntax, my script will pick it up and include it.

The Digest gets quite a readership outside of cola, so it's well
worthwhile.  Perhaps you might have some news about your business?

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |