Re: [News] Stallman Facts

On 16 Jun 2009 07:07:50 GMT, Gregory Shearman <ZekeGregory@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On 2009-06-15, AZ Nomad <aznomad.3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 15 Jun 2009 18:12:56 GMT, TomB <tommy.bongaerts@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>On 2009-06-15, the following emerged from the brain of TomB:

>>>8. Linus Torvalds can install Gentoo in under a week.
>>
>>>LMAO.
>>
>> Silly.  Anybody with an 8th education can install gentoo in three
>> days, most of the time doing three massive compile jobs, one to make
>> the base, the next to add X11/desktop, and the last to add
>> applications.

>Rubbish. The base comes as a stage3 tar file... just untar it and then
>setup portage and then you update.
I use stage 3 as well.  And it is out of date and only good for a starting
place as just about everything in it will have to be updated.  Gcc and Glib
alone require 3 hours.
X11 alone takes 4 hours;  kde alone takes 12 hours.
I like to build my only applications instead of using binaries.  Openoffice
needs 3 hours.

>I can get a gentoo box up in less than 2 days.

I'm happy for you.  Does your amazing speed refute my argument that it is
false to say that only somebody like Mr. Torvalds can do it in under a week?

.