Re: [News] Vista 7 Stinks Badly on Sub-notebooks, GNU/Linux to Capitalise

Sinister Midget wrote:
On 2009-03-08, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
____/ Megabyte on Sunday 08 March 2009 16:11 : \____

Terry, if Linpus Lite is so great why aren't you and everyone else
running it on your desktops?  Linpus Lite is just that, a "Lite"
simplified version of Linux for Netbooks.   In terms of Xandros, many of
the Linux users purchasing an Eee quickly dump it for their favorite
distribution.  Check out some of the Eee Forums on the web if you don't
believe me.  In addition, can you pick-up an Eee PC 1000HE with Xandros?
So the newest Eee model with the best battery life of all Netbooks on
the market isn't being sold with Xandros?  Dell seems to be the one OEM
that has done things right by using Ubuntu.  The fact that 33% of their
netbook sales are Ubuntu machines and return rates between XP and Ubuntu
models are the same speaks volumes.  As much as you can argue the merits
of Linpus Lite and Xandros, average consumers and some OEMs seem to see
it differently.
I've met a person (online) who insisted strongly against anything but the ASUS
distro. He got burned by paying $120 for XP (it was crap on the Eee PC he
said) and he didn't want anything but a simple distro with large icons. He
liked it simple.

I'll admit I wiped Xandros. But I just found recently that one can get
away from the launcher interface to a regular desktop. I also ran
across a HOWTO for getting rid of unionfs so it doesn't use so much
space on the drive. So I might try that when I finally get the SSD
(next week) that will require a reinstall anyway.

There were a thing or two that came with that particular distro that I
liked. If not for using up so much of the drive (to keep a second copy
of itself) and the interface (it might work if it was a bit more
tunable) I might not have started looking elsewhere.

Actually you can get away from the launcher in both Linpus Lite and Xandros, that is why Terry argues they are not simplified versions. I understand that argument but not sure someone unfamiliar with Linux would understand it when they are deciding between the Linux and XP models in a store.

What brand and size of SSD did you buy? Anyone know how the Ext4 file system will perform on an SSD? I've been reading about some significant performance improvements coming in Ubuntu 9.04 when combined with Ext4. It will also be interesting to see the battery life ASUS is able to achieve if they expand their "E" improvements to other models like the Linux 1000 SSD model.